5th and 6th Grade Rules
The objective of this league is to continue the development of basketball skills for boys and girls in the fifth and sixth grades in a competitive environment. Coaching efforts will be geared toward teaching basic basketball fundamentals, team play, sportsmanship, and above all, fun, as a criteria for success.
High school federation rules prevail with the following adaptations for this league:
A. 28.5” basketball will be used.
B. Games will consist of two 20 minute halves of running time with the following exceptions:
• The last two minutes of each game will be “stop time” as with regular basketball rules.
• Each team will be allowed 3 one-minute timeouts per game.
• There will be a 3-minute halftime break.
• A player will be disqualified after 5 personal fouls.
• In the event of a tie score at the end of regulation, one 3-minute overtime period will be played following a 1-minute break. The final minute of overtime will be “stop time” and no additional time-outs to be awarded. If at the end of one overtime the score is still tied, a second overtime will be played. If at the end of the second overtime the score is still tied, the game will be called a draw.
C. Boys teams will be allowed to press once the offensive team has moved the ball outside their defensive 3 point arc. Full-court pressing will be allowed in the last 2 minutes of the game.
D. In the girls division, the defense cannot cover or pick up the player with the ball until the offensive player crosses half court.
• In the final two minutes of the game, full-court pressing will be allowed.
E. On the 7th team foul of each half, the 1 and 1 bonus will be awarded. Two shots will be awarded after 10 team fouls.
F. A 10 point mercy rule will require any team ahead by 10 points or more to keep its defense inside the 3 point arc. (Note: The score is not frozen.)
G. All players must play a minimum of ½ of each game. To ensure equitable playing time, players must play a minimum of one half of each half.
H. Back court, foul lane, traveling, and double dribble violations will be enforced.
• Lane violations will be called after 3 seconds.