Youth Safety Committee
Established in 2014, the Youth Safety Committee is a multi-disciplinary team made up of School Administrators, Educators, Law Enforcement, Public Health and Community Resources that meet monthly to discuss current health and safety issues that are affecting the youth in East Longmeadow today. We use current data and experiences to shape our educational and outreach efforts for students and parents alike.
- March 14, 2019: Please join the East Longmeadow Youth Safety Committee as they present "The New Look of Nicotine Addiction" at East Longmeadow High School on Thursday, March 14th, 2019, from 6:30PM-7:45PM in the auditorium. View Flyer @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- November 29, 2018 Just Once Documentary: The “Just Once” video documentary tells true Hampden County stories of drug addiction and recovery of former local high school students, their parents, and experts in the field. Our EL Youth Safety Committee will sponsor a variety of vendors/exhibits on early detection of risky behaviors and ways to identify environmental clues that may suggest drug use, along with resources about prevention, misuse reduction, and treatment and recovery of youth substance use. View ELCAT
- June 7, 2018 Rebound: The Chris Herren Story: St. Michael's Parish and Forastiere Funeral Home & Cremation invite you, East Longmeadow staff members, students and their families to come and hear Chris Herren share his personal story of substance use and recovery on Thursday, June 7th @ 7 PM at St. Michael's Parish, 128 Maple Street, East Longmeadow, MA. Event Flyer
- December 7, 2017 The YSC Community Night: The East Longmeadow Youth Safety Committee will be hosting a free community night for parents and community members to raise awareness and educate the community on substance use and addiction. The East Longmeadow Police Department with the Hampden County District Attorney's Office and the Springfield Deparmtent of Health and Human Services will be presenting on how to keep our children safe. This is a very informative night that you don't want to miss!
- April 13, 2017 Dr. Ruth Potee Board Certified Family and Addiction MD Presentation: The Youth Safety Committee is proud to present Dr. Ruth Potee who is an expert on addiction and how it affects the teenage brain. She will be presenting on the teen brain development, its impact on risk-taking behavior, including the use of marijuana, drugs and alcohol and what this means for parents and teens. Join us to learn more about how we can keep our teens safer, healthier and substance-free!
- March 7, 2017 Anxious Kids/Anxious Parents: Anxiety is the #1 mental health disorder in the United States but it is also the most treatable. Please join us as Lynn Lyons, LICSW and author of the book Anxious Kids/Anxious Parents, provides valuable strategies to: · Interpret the Worry Cycle · Prevent Anxiety and Depression: Skills We Can Teach Our Children · Manage Anxiety in the Classroom: An Approach for Schools and Parents · Bringing the Changes Home: Therapeutic Assignments for Families @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Videos from Youth Safety Committee Events
- Just Once Screening: The ELYSC hosted a screening of the documentary "Just Once" by the Office of Hampden County District Attorney Anthony Gulluni, and a presentation by two speakers from the Western Mass Recovery and Wellness Center about their experiences with addiction and recovery. December 6, 2018
- Youth Safety Night Opiod Film Screening "Anonymous People" Discussion February 2016
- Youth Safety Community Night December 8, 2015
- ELCAT News Segment on Youth Safety Community Night February 2015
- Youth Safety Community Night Full Program February 2015
- Youth Safety Community Night Part 1 ELPD February 2015
- Youth Safety Community Night Part 2 Risk & Protective Factors February 2015
- Youth Safety Community Night Part 3 Medical Treatment February 2015
- Opioid Abuse Panel January 2015 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Vaping, Marijuana, and the Effects on the Adolescent Brain with Dr. Ruth Potee
- Addiction is a Brain Disease with Dr. Ruth Potee
- Marajuana Awareness with Dr. Ruth Potee
- Physiology of Addiction by Dr. Ruth Potee
- The Teen Brain and Risk Taking with Dr. Ruth Potee
- Dr. Ruth Potee and her Presentation: The Physiology of Addiction @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>